22 September 2008

A What Were You Thinking Moment ~ A Boy and The Fire Ant Mound

When my son who now serves in the US Navy was about 6 years old we lived in Louisiana. I used to love to take him to school so that I could really absorb the city and its people. Well, one day while we were walking back from his school my son spotted this almost 4 foot tall mound of dirt sitting up against the Stop Sign pole on the corner. And so, like almost every boy his age, he ran up and kicked that mound down.

The next thing I knew , he was yelling Mom! and he was being covered by ants, nasty little ants. We were lucky, he and I got away before he was stung or hurt in any way. I later learned that these were the infamous Fire Ants. Now I read that these little stinkers are already in Tennessee, which means they will eventually work their way up here to Kentucky.

My parents live in the deep south, and where they are there is a lot of Fire Ant problems, people getting bitten, property being destroyed. So I think I will be learning all I can about them, how to prevent them from making their mounds on my property and how to keep them from biting my kids or animals.
If your suffering from these insects ( which by the way are stinging insects related to the bee and wasp!) then you should go to this page about ant control
and also all about the Fire Ant.
Photobucket Photobucket
BlockBuster

Followers

Blog Archive

MarkDaniels

Mark&Daniel Widget sm
Photobucket

J4kids

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Devils Due

Check out the best in Graphic Novels here at Devils Due Publishing. They are doing the Jericho Graphic Novel!

Blog Catalog

stats

statcounter ***

MyBlog

BMZ

Social Bookmarking
Add to: Webnews Add to: Digg Add to: Del.icio.us Add to: Reddit Add to: Jumptags Add to: StumbleUpon Add to: Slashdot Add to: Netscape Add to: Furl Add to: Yahoo Add to: Google Add to: Technorati Add to: Newsvine Add to: Ma.Gnolia Add to: Netvouz Information
Drama Blog Directory

TwitterCounter for @kystorms View blog authority
Links to Page

IZEA